Dr. Alexander Scott, F.R.S. (1853-1947)
Dr Alexander Scott, latterly Director of Scientific Research
at the British Museum, was educated at Selkirk Academy and Edinburgh University where
be graduated B.Sc. in Experimental Philosophy in 1875. After moving to Cambridge as
assistant to the Jacksonian Professor in 1875, he graduated B.A. Honours (1st class)
in Natural Science in 1879 and M.A. in 1882, and gained his doctorate in 1884. From
1896 to 1911 he was Superintendent of the Davy-Faraday Research Laboratory of the Royal
Institution. During this period he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, in 1898.
After working in his own laboratory for some years he was appointed, in 1919, to
“conduct an enquiry into the condition of objects at the British Museum”. He retired
from the post in 1938. He was very active in the Chemical Society most of his working
life and between 1899 and 1924 held the posts of Honorary Secretary, Treasurer,
Vice-President and President between 1899 and 1924.
Dr Scott also made a great contribution to the problem of art and archaeology by
discovering and publishing methods of treatment for exhumed material. In the winter
of 1923-1924 he was consulting chemist at Luxor, in devising methods of preserving the
objects from Tut-Ankh-Amun’s tomb.
Search the Collections
back to Collection Histories