Dundee Medical Library


The Dundee Medical Subscription Library originated from a circular written by Dr Robert Sinclair, physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary, and was designed to provide a range of medical books to subscribers for whom private medical libraries were no longer possible. The Library was formally established at a meeting held on the 19 October 1880. Initially books were shelved at the Albert Institute. Subsequent homes were provided in the premises of A. Kidd, a bookseller in Mitchell Street, the “University” Club and in Professor Paterson’s room at University College. In 1903 the Library was given to St. Andrews University Medical Library, one of the conditions being that the books should be housed in University College, Dundee.


Collection Summary

Search the Collections

back to Collection Histories
Designed by: Matthew Davis