Dundee Distric Lunacy Board, Board of Control


Dundee District board of Lunacy was created out of the larger County District Lunacy Board in 1899. In its new form it purchased Westergreens Asylum from Dundee Royal Asylum for Lunatics in 1903 for 90,000. Westergreens Asylum was then developed to provide care for pauper patients in the Dundee area.

In 1929 it was taken over by the Health Department of the Local Authority under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, in 1948 operation was transferred to the National Health Service and in 1959 it was incorporated with Gowrie House and the psychiatric wards of Maryfield Hospital to form the "Royal Mental Hospital."


Collection Summary

Search the Collections

back to Collection Histories

Designed by: Matthew Davis