Sidlaw Sanatorium, Auchterhouse (Later Sidlaw Hospital)


The formation of a sanatorium for the free treatment of the effects of tuberculosis was first proposed in 1899. A site was donated by the Earl of Airlie at Auchterhouse in the Sidlaw Hills outside Dundee and the Sanatorium was opened by his wife, the Countess of Airlie in September 1902, receiving its first patients in March of the following year. It was operated as a charitable concern until 1910, when management of the Sanatorium was transferred to the Dundee Royal Infirmary. The Sanatorium was closed c1969.


Collection Summary

Search the Collections

back to Collection Histories
Designed by: Matthew Davis