In 1836 the need for medical provision “for the relief of the
poor” in Arbroath was so great that a dispensary was set up by public subscription
and run by the local medical practitioners. A typhus epidemic in 1842 resulted in the
first in-patient service, a small fever ward for the isolation of typhus sufferers, and
from 1843 subscriptions were being raised to develop this into an infirmary. With the
aid of donations from subscribers and from Lord Panmure the new Infirmary opened in 1845
to provide both outpatient and in-patient care.
By 1913 this building was becoming overcrowded and in 1916 the Infirmary moved to
new building on a new site. This was extended further in 1961 with the addition of the
“Queen Mother” maternity wing.
The Hospital was absorbed into the Eastern Region Hospital Board under the terms of
the National Health (Scotland) Act of 1947.
Search the Collections
back to Collection Histories