Dundee Eye Institution


The Dundee Eye Institution was established in 1836 by Dr Cocks, a practitioner in the city, to provide a free service to those who could not afford ophthalmic treatment. It operated in premises at 84 Murraygate from 1844 to 1892, when it moved to a larger building at 86 Nethergate so that the Institution could expand its work. At first hospital operations were carried out at the Royal Infirmaries in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but in 1892 the Dundee Royal Infirmary established an ophthalmic department which included two four bed wards for Eye Institution patients. After this the Eye Institution confined itself to outpatient work, though it continued to develop links with the Medical School of St Andrews University, which was then situated in Dundee.


Collection Summary

Search the Collections

back to Collection Histories
Designed by: Matthew Davis