Professor Adam Patrick (1883-1970)


Professor Adam Patrick was born on the 29 June 1883 and was educated at Greenock Academy and then at the University of Glasgow where he graduated with an MA in 1904 and MB, ChB with Honours in 1908. In 1913 he graduated MD from Glasgow again with Honours and was awarded the Bellahouston Gold Medal for his MD thesis. After completing house posts at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Maternity and Women’s Hospital, Glasgow, the Glasgow Western Infirmary and Ruchill Infectious Diseases Hospital, he was appointed extra honorary dispensing physician at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and assistant to the Professor of the Practice of Medicine in the University of Glasgow.

During the First World War he served with the RAMC in the Mediterranean area and on his return to Glasgow in 1919 was elected Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1923 he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of St. Andrews and during his professorship he was also visiting physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary and other local hospitals. He was elected FRCP in 1931 and FRCP Ed, in 1942. The Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the University of Glasgow was conferred on him in 1948 and that of the University of St. Andrews in 1952. He died in 1970.

Professor Patrick took a deep interest in student life in the University and did much to establish the William Low Residence. In the Eastern Region of Scotland he inaugurated a Consultant Service in Medicine with regular visits to the district hospitals. He retired from the chair in 1950 and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine.


Collection Summary

Search the Collections

back to Collection Histories

Designed by: Matthew Davis