Maryfield Hospital had its origins as the East Poorhouse Hospital,
which was opened in 1893 by Dundee Parish Council for the treatment of the sick poor. The
Hospital was built alongside the East Poorhouse, situated on five acres of land near Stobswell,
on the west side of Mains Loan, south of Clepington Road, Dundee.
The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1845 provided the framework upon which welfare services
could be built and the Parochial Board of Dundee adopted a resolution in 1852 to provide a
Poorhouse for the Parish, which was to accommodate paupers, including the physically and
mentally ill. It opened in 1856 and was renamed the East Poorhouse after the amalgamation of
the Parochial Boards of Dundee and Liff and Benvie in 1879. The Liff and Benvie Parish Poorhouse,
latterly known as the West Poorhouse, was erected on the north side of Blackness Road and opened
Maryfield Hospital was taken over by the Health Authority under the Local Government (Scotland)
Act in 1929, and went on to specialise in maternity and child care. Maryfield Hospital also had
psychiatric wards, which were amalgamated in 1959 with the District Asylum (Westgreen) and the Royal
Asylum (Gowrie House) to form the Dundee Royal Mental Hospital.
Maryfield Hospital closed down in stages between 1974 and 1976 and its services were taken over
by Ninewells Hospital.
Search the Collections
back to Collection Histories