Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home
The Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home developed from
a "dispensary for women and children" set up in the 1890's for the treatment of
women by female doctors, the first medical officers being Dr E C Thomson and Dr
A M Moorhead. In May 1897 a small hospital - the "Dundee Hospital for Women"
was set up in Seafield Road to provide surgical care at a low cost.
When the 1947 National Health Service Act came into effect in 1948 the Women's
Hospital and Nursing Home petitioned the Secretary of State for permission to
keep operating the hospital as a private charitable concern and not as part of
the National Health Service. It appears to have been successful in this aim,
as it is not mentioned in the records of the Dundee General Hospitals Board of
Search the Collections
back to Collection Histories